Good fertilizer storage and house-keeping practices are always playing an important role for fertilizer fertility in the future. In general, fertilizers should be stored in a closed and secure place. At the same time, sun, rain have an bad impact on the effect of fertilizers. Farmers should pay more attention to this. The ways of organic fertilizer storage are similar to compound fertilizer storage in a degree. So, here i summary them together.
1.Prevent fertilizer from moisture-absorbing. Deliquesce, agglomeration and nutrient loss caused by moisture absorption of fertilizers are a common problem during fertilizer storage. Taking volatile ammonium bicarbonate as an example, nitrogen element run away after fertilizer decomposition.
2. When using ammonium nitrate, phosphate nitrate, potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate and urea etc.as raw materials, some organic fertilizers are easy to absorb moisture, become caking. These problems are common for organic fertilizer storage.
3. Pay more attention to toxic gas of fertilizer. Fertilizers are made up of a variety of acids, bases and salts. Pay more attention to the toxic gas from some fertilizer themselves or volatile matters. First, some fertilizers are toxic all the time, for example lime nitrogen. Second, some volatile free acid from stored fertilizer can lead to acidic air, for example calcium super phosphate. Third, volatile nitrogen after fertilizer Deliquesce is easily become alkaline substances, compound fertilizer such as ammonium bicarbonate, ammonium nitrite, compound fertilizer containing ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrogen.
4. Prevent fertilizer from flammable materials. Ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate and other materials of fertilizers can make a explosion in sunlight exposure. These fertilizers should store separately.
5. Fertilizer stock should be stable, up to a maximum of 1.5 meters high.
6. Install some fire-fighting equipment in storage room.
- Ensure fertilizer bags are sealed and good.
- Choose a well-ventilated, watertight and clear room to store fertilizer.
- Use some bags on pallets or linoleum on the dry ground to Prevent fertilizer from damping.
- keep storage room well-ventilated and relative humidity less then 70%. When indoor temperature and humidity are higher than outdoor, you can open the warehouse doors and windows for natural ventilation adjustment in the sunny morning and evening.
- Above toxic organic fertilizer or compound fertilizer storage should be separate from normal fertilizers.
- Keep toxic organic fertilizer storage or compound fertilizer storage far away from grain, seed, and other agricultural products.
- when checking these fertilizers, you should wear masks and gloves.
- To avoid reaction, store easily volatile fertilizers separately.
- Store fertilizer in clear environment, keep air ventilating all the time.
- Protect bulk fertilizer from dust and damp.
- Store fertilizers on shelves or some pallets off the ground to avoid moisture.
- Keep away from flammable materials. Make sure you have a distance of at least 5 meters between the materials. That is because that some nitrogen fertilizers easily decomposes in high temperature. Some products can even develop carbon oxides (CO, CO2) and sulfur oxides as well.
- Do not contact with acids and alkaline substances, such as quicklime or cement. They are harmful for skin.
Tips For Using Liquid Fertilizer Tanks Or Buildings
Check tanks and buildings are all good.
Lock all tanks fittings shut when tanks not in use.
Store different types of fertilizer in different tanks.
Check tanks and buildings regularly.